Popular Posts

Saturday 19 July 2014

Top 5 Must-Watch Horrors

For those that know me... you probably wouldn't put me down as being a huge fan of horror films. In fact on the contrary, I rather detest them. Not so much the genre itself but more my reaction and how I personally deal with them... it's not brilliant.

Nevertheless, as an avid cinephile I watch a variety of films new, old, foreign, animated and within a variety of genres romance, comedy, action and of course horror. It hasn't escaped me that in recent years there have been some films within the thriller/horror genre that deserve recognition for merely being good films. Thus here we are, my top 5 must-see horrors:





1. The Conjuring (Wan, 2013)

A very good film. Period. Regardless of the genre this was an all round success. It has everything you could want: fully rounded characters (some portrayals of real people), a back story and antagonist that is well thought out, an easy-on-the-eye male lead in the form of Patrick Wilson and to finish it all off a full-on old-skool exorcism and  a terrifying clap game. The same director as Saw I and Insidious -Wan clearly knows what he is doing.





2. Dark Skies (Stewart, 2013)

I feel the success of this film relies on what you don't see as opposed to what you do. The mystery of the apparent antagonist in the film is what drives the fear. For any fans of sci-fi (or general films involving Aliens) this is perhaps a film that may introduce you into a whole different genre.






3. Insidious: Chapter 2 (Wan, 2013)

I personally prefer this film to it's predecessor as the focus on the father (note: return of the easy-on-the-eye Patrick Wilson) as opposed to the son as seen in the prequel provides an interesting twist. Also, I saw this before Insidious and found it relatively easy to follow, so if you haven't seen the first one... that's not an excuse.






4. Mama (Muschetti, 2013)

Jessica Chastain (as always) is exquisite as the lead. However, I was not particularly impressed with the ending as it gives too much away (believe me it is still disturbing). I feel that the main thing that constitutes the fear is the unknown. Hearing, knowing, half-understanding the being that is "Mama" but never actually seeing her (until the very end) is what makes your eyes twitch and your palms sweat.




5. Haunting in Connecticut  (Cornwell, 2009)

An old favourite (I say that with complete sarcasm). This film was one of the very first to disturb me to the point of sleepless nights. From the maggot infested walls to the weird, gross substance that grows out of your mouth (on poster) this film is beyond messed up. And apparently a true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment